You’re invited to join in the World Book Day celebrations on 4 March!
World Book Day is a worldwide celebration of books and reading, that aims to promote reading for pleasure, offering every child and young person the opportunity to have a book of their own.
Reading for pleasure is the single biggest indicator of a child’s future success – more than their family circumstances, their parents’ educational background or their income. We want to see more children, particularly those from disadvantaged backgrounds, with a life-long habit of reading for pleasure and the improved life chances this brings them.
Get involved in World Book Day
1. Spend your £1 book token. Over 15 million tokens are distributed to children and young people every year which can be swapped for exclusive, new and completely free World Book Day books available from participating bookseller. Find out about this year’s books
2. Share a Story Live events. Join a star-studded cast of authors, illustrators and hosts for a series of exciting, free, digital events.
3. Share a Story Video Corner. Spending just ten minutes every day enjoying books with your children can make a big different to their development. Share a Story videos will offer you a fun start to reading together.
4. Listen to an audiobook. There are free audiobooks for children of all ages on the World Book Night website.
5. Choose a lesson from the Author & Illustrator Academy. Meet fantastic authors and illustrators for your children to get inspired to write their own stories.
There are so many other ways that children can get involved in World Book Day, just head to the World Book Day website to find out more.
After World Book Day, the countdown is on until 23 April, World Book Night, when adults across the country will be encouraged to pick up a book.